Basics and Beyond: Behavior Training for Young Adult Dogs
-- with Pet Behavior Consultant, Amy Estep, B.A.
By popular demand, we are now offering Basics and Beyond class for adolescent or young adult dogs who would like to refresh (or begin) their obedience training!
This class is designed in response to clients who have completed Puppy Preschool and have asked us to help their dogs extend their learning to the next level with more advanced work including extending their good behaviors to situations with more distractions or where more patience is required. This class is also designed to serve clients whose dogs are a bit too old for Puppy Preschool but who would benefit from a basic behavior class. Our instructor, Amy, adapts her classes to the needs and abilities of each dog to help every dog achieve his or her own next level of good behavior.
These classes are for dogs who are 6 months to 3 years old. There are no pre-requisites for this class, so you may enroll your dog whether or not you have completed an earlier puppy class. We recommend our Puppy Preschool for puppies under 8 months of age who have not yet taken a puppy class. Puppies of any age who have already completed Puppy Preschool can go straight into Basics and Beyond.
Amy will help you understanding how your dog learns to allow you to prevent or resolve fears, aggression or other problem behaviors as well as teach your dog to perform the good behaviors you want. You will learn how to train and interact with your dog in a way that fosters the development of confident, calm, secure, and obedient canine personality characteristics. Through this class, we hope to help you develop a lifelong mutually beneficial interaction style between you and your dog based on positive reinforcement and consistent correction strategies.
Basic obedience commands covered include sit, down, sit/stay and down/stay, appropriate leash walking, come and leave it. Each of these will be practiced in the presence of more challenging distractions. Your dog's response to the basic commands will be strengthened by increasing duration, distance and distraction levels while ensuring compliance with your commands. More advanced commands such as watch me, place and touch for those looking to increase your dog's skill set.
Amy has worked under the tutelage of Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist, Dr. Megan Maxwell, developing extensive experience working with pet owners to provide effective, humane training strategies and behavior problem-resolution plans. These experiences respect the intimate bond that exists between people and their pets, carefully analyzes training issues and pet behavior problems, and applies scientifically validated and humane behavior change strategies in the treatment of pet behavior problems and training issues. Amy also provides behavioral services through Pet Behavior Change LLC.
Class Outline Includes:
- Socialization: Preventing Fearfulness
- The Three D's of Basic Obedience Training
- Preventing Aggression
- NILIF Program for Leadership in the Home
- Leash Walking - Heeling and Natural Situations
- Attention Seeking Behavior: Prevention and Treatment
Who, When, Where, How Much?
These classes are for dogs between 6 months and 3 years of age.
Class Times: Monday evenings from 7:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Class Location: Animal Medical Center, 460 Hartman Run Road
Cost: $110.00 (plus tax)
- Recent veterinary exam at AMC Our Basics and Beyond classes are open only to dogs who have received a recent veterinary exam at AMC. Before starting this class, we offer patients who are new to Animal Medical Center a complimentary exam in order for the veterinarian to evaluate your dog's veterinary records and any need for additional wellness care before beginning class. Please bring complete veterinary records to the exam. The courtesy exam does not include any vaccinations or other medical care your pet may need.
- Wellness health care up to date (see below)
- Advance Registration required. Written records of all medical services provided away from AMC must be delivered, faxed or mailed to AMC for our review prior to class.
- Advance Payment required 1 week prior to the first session to ensure your space in the class.
- Dog-safe & people-safe partipants
For the safety of all participants, all dogs need to be safe around other dogs and people. As part of the sign-up process for the Basics and Beyond classes, we will schedule a (no charge) consultation visit for your dog with one of our veterinarians and/or Amy before classes begin. At that time, we will review your dog's medical and behavioral history and make sure that this is the appropriate class for you and your dog.
If your dog has had any aggression issues, please call us to arrange a conversation with Amy before enrolling in the class so that she can help you determine the best behavior training plan for your dog. Amy will gladly talk with you and meet you and your dog to help you determine whether or not your dog is ready for a class or whether some remedial behavior work would be needed before a group class. Amy and Pet Behavior Change LLC offers extensive behavior services and can also work with you privately to help you prepare for a group class if there are some issues that need to be worked on before participating in a group class. Since aggression or fear issues tend to both worsen with time and also become harder to solve as they become long-term habits, this age is the time to most effectively prevent small issues from become major problems.
Minor aggression or fear issues can often be successfully resolved through a short course of private behavior consulting and then followed up very successfully with a group class to extend the new good behaviors into the more challenging environment of a group, so please don't hesitate to talk to us about your needs. With Amy's help, we offer excellent options for behavior training and as an expert in canine behavior working in cooperation with our wonderful veterinary staff, Amy is exactly the person to work with for any behavior challenges!
* Additional sessions to be scheduled starting approximately every other month
* Classes with fewer than three enrolled dogs will be combined with an upcoming session (or provided a refund if preferred).
Health Requirements for all Classes
- Proof of Vaccinations (including Bordetella) Required
- Current DAPP (Distemper, Adenovirus, Parvovirus, Parainfluenza combo)
- Current Rabies vaccine
- Current Bordetella vaccine within the past 6 months. The bordetella vaccine needs to have been administered at least 2 days prior to the first class!!
- Parasite Control Required
- Dog must be free of fleas, ticks and other parasites. We strongly recommend all dogs receive monthly flea preventative medications. (i.e., Trifexis, Comfortis, Sentinel, NexGard, Advantage, etc).
- Dog must be free of intestinal parasites as evidenced by meeting at least one of the following conditions.
- Dog is taking a monthly heartworm preventative (i.e., Trifexis, Sentinel, HeartGard, Revolution, Iverhart) prescribed by a veterinarian.
- Dog has completed a course of deworming medication prescribed by a veterinarian within the past 60 days.
- Dog has had a "negative" fecal exam at a veterinarian within the past 60 days.
- Your dog needs to have a current (within 10 months) veterinary exam and be free of any potentially contagious illnesses or parasites.
Please note: Family members are welcome to observe and participate! However, for the safety of all involved and to ensure an optimal learning environment, children under 10 must be accompanied by a caregiver who is not also handling a dog in the class and who can ensure the child remains safely away from all students and dogs during class time.
For Questions and Reservations
To enroll: Use our enrollment e-form if you are ready to enroll!
Please contact us if you need to check on your dog's vaccination and wellness status; to schedule an appointment to update any needed services; if you have any other questions; or if you are ready to enroll. Call us at (304) 292-0126.
Enroll on-line. Our goal for all our behavior classes is to help you raise your dog in a way that allows you both to enjoy the time you spend together and to also help you help your dog become (and remain) a well behaved dog with good wellness habits that will last a lifetime and help protect their health and happiness for years to come.